Thursday, March 4, 2010

As promised...


I previously mentioned the students in my school are not taught any form of sexual education. After I got over the initial shock, I was able to ask my cooperating teacher about why this is. I was informed this is a very conservative district. The superintendent is touchy on the topic of sexual education. Therefore, it is not taught… ever. Not even in high school. The teachers are told to not teach any type of prevention or conception, or even abstinence. The health teacher had to send home a permission slip to be signed by the parents just so he could inform the students about HIV and AIDS. Surprisingly, out of 90 students, 4 of the kids’ parents didn’t want them to be informed of the transmission of these diseases.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you got the chance to ask your teacher about this. I come from a school that is opposite of how your school is as well. I am glad that you took an interest in this issue and asked about it. I am sure it is hard to adapt to a setting you are not use to. Keep that interest in everything you do. Being passionate like that can only help you in your career. Stay involved and interested in the school and students and you will get more out of this experience than imagined.

    ReplyDelete