Sunday, April 25, 2010

Art everywhere!




You know the old saying, “Never judge a book by its cover”? From the outside, my school looks uptight and strict. Well, upon entering my school, I was relieved. I saw art everywhere! But not just any art. Healthily art. Signs students made to promote a safe school, such as anti-bullying and respect posters were taped throughout the school’s hallways. You can’t take two steps without seeing one. Along with these signs, they also have the school motto placed everywhere. Not only is it posted, but the students know it. Impressive? I sure think so. Another thing that was very shocking to me was the 3-D art in the hallway. The eight graders made 3-D characters from recyclable cardboard and other products. They made things such as Snorlax, the Pokémon, Kevin, the bird from UP, Wall-e, Scooby-do, and the PINK dog from Victoria’s Secret. These large, incredibly real look looking characters added a sense of liveliness and creativity to the school. Throughout the time I was observing, I realized the students had a lot of admiration for the art in their school. They never ruined or vandalized the art and wholeheartedly appreciated it.

2 comments:

  1. You're right Jenny! Judging a book by it's cover, or in our case the students was hard for us. With our teachers being so negative and talking about the students it was hard for us on a personal level, but we got through it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post Jenny. This is so true to not judge a book by its cover. I love that this school has art everywhere. Students want to see color or fun things to look at or else they are not going to want to learn at all. I think that this is something that is missing in a lot of middle schools and high schools today. I feel that having other students art around everywhere makes students to want to learn and to be more creative like their fellow students. I think thats one thing I could say that my high school and middle school did not have. I disliked it because the classrooms would be colorful, but then the hallways would just be plain. I think more schools need to understand that students are never to old to have artwork hanging in the hallway.

    ReplyDelete